Re: TR3 brakes (check valve?)

To: "Matt Barre" <mbarre@juno.com>, <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR3 brakes (check valve?)
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 16:06:27 -0700

----------
> From: Matt Barre <mbarre@juno.com>
> To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: TR3 brakes (check valve?)
> Date: Sunday, May 11, 1997 10:30 PM
>
> I didn't realize that there was a valve or restrictor in the brake
> plumbing on this car.  I am completely redoing the braking system and
> was wondering if this is something that should be replaced (are new ones
> even available) or can it simply be left out?  I recalled some mention of
> this in the recent past but didn't know what it was about till I  started
> replacing parts on mine.  I am currently bending the new lines.

 Matt-

Do not leave the valve out of the system...
The valve is needed to keep the slightest residual pressure in the system
so that the brake cylinders do not eventually retract all the way back
which would require excessive pedal movement to get the friction material
back out to where it can do some good.
On your TR, the valve should be mounted on the top hole of the brake line
"Tee" mounted to the frame in front of the left front side of the firewall.
The valve itself looks like an "extension" on the tee. I do not know if the
valve is currently available from anyone these days as there probably isn't
a lot of call for replacements. I realize that almost anything can go wrong
on a 40 year old car, but the valve was not a common replacement item when
the car was "new".

The Car Curmudgeon
      Nick in Nor Cal