TR3 Speedo and Tach

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3 Speedo and Tach
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@nationalpicture.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:04:22 -0500
Good morning

My 59 TR3A has a speedometer and a tachometer that seem very sluggish in
operation.  The Tach will rarely return to "0" rpm when the engine is shut
off initially, and the speedo has a life of its own.  I got up to an
indicated 100 mph in 4th gear the other morning, all while turning only an
indicated 2500 rpm, and still being passed by lots of other cars in an
urban setting.  Probably was going about 45 MPH.  I replaced both cables
with some, but not much improvement.

My question to the group.  It seems the common problem is probably
inactivity for a 5-7 year period before I acquired the TR3A.  Can the
instruments be opened up and cleaned and lubricated to overcome the
sticking?  If so, what should be used to clean and what should be used to
lubricate.  Is disassembly beyond removing from the cases required or will
removing the "guts" from the cases provide enough access to the internals
to clean and lube.

I also vaguely recall a thread about cables being too long for the
instruments, thereby binding or causing performance problems.  Did I dream
this or did the thread occur in the past months.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Greenwood, MS