Re: Hot Engine and Engine Stall (Revisited)

To: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Subject: Re: Hot Engine and Engine Stall (Revisited)
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:48:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry H. Adams wrote:

> When the weather was cool the indication on the temp gauge of my 74
> Spitfire was normally around the center mark.  Now that the weather has
> warmed up the indicator is normally at the mark just below the Hot mark and
> sometimes in traffic its even slightly higher.  Is this about normal for
> these cars in warm weather, or should I start looking for a problem?  If
> there is a problem should I start by looking at the thermostat, radiator
> cap or water pump?  The cooling system has been thoroughly flushed, but I
> did not boil out the radiator.  Would it be ok to run without a thermostat
> in the summer?  Will an oil cooler give much help?
>
> At this higher temp the car stalls.  It does this mostly on acceleration,
> but it has occurred at constant highway speeds as well.  To me it acts like
> a fuel starvation (vapor lock) stall.  However, a recent thread on the
> newsgroup indicates it's the coil that failing.  But, I noted that the
> person who posted the original message (Erik) replaced his coil and it did
> not solve the problem.  Where should I start, fuel pump or coil?
>
> Thanks for you help.  I really appreciate it!!
>
> Barry H. Adams
> 74 Spitfire

I have a '67 TR 4A....  I put "WATER WETTER" in the radiator... and I
noticed a marked improvement in the motor temp as viewed by the gauge...
IMEDIATELY... my guage started to read visibily cooler...  and I've
noticed the car stays much cooler during these hot days...

I don't know what problems you are having... but I do highly recommend
"Water Wetter" for all triumphs.   I bought mine at Pep Boys... I've
seen it at high performace/racing stores and some motorcycle dealers...
It works... it's made by RedLine... I believe.

Justin
jmwagner@greenheart.com
Los Angeles