Re: TR3 rear brake cylinders

To: <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 rear brake cylinders
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 16:09:48 -0700

> Subject: Re: TR3 rear brake cylinders
> Date: Tuesday, May 06, 1997 9:11 AM
>
> Ken's question and most of Nick's insightful response snipped for
> brevity..
> >
> > If the rears
> > locked up first, use the 3/4" cylinders, if they all locked up about
the
> > same time, again use the 3/4"'ers. If the rears never locked up, use
the
> > 5/8" cylinders.
> >
> > Hardly able to maintain my own "balance"...
> >         Nick in Nor Cal
>

> Nick,
>
> I am afraid I don't get the logic here. If the rear doesn't lock up, you
> suggest going with the _smaller_ cylinders.
>
> Am I missing something here? I would think you get more stopping power
> from the 3/4" cylinders...
>
> Probably clueless as usual...
>           Henry in Nor Con

Henry et al-

I knew I didn't want to start this, as logic will only lead you astray...

Think of it this way-
Assume the master cylinder will move 10cc of brake fluid to the rear
circuit, every time the pedal is pushed down. That leaves 5cc per cylinder.
Now when the 3/4" piston moves say 3/8", the volume left behind is 5cc, the
exact amount of fluid availavble from the cylinder. Now on the 5/8"
cylinder, that same 5cc change in volume might move the piston 1/2" because
the bore is smaller and the fluid has no where else to go, so it MUST move
the piston further out to make room for that same 5cc's. When the piston
moves further on the smaller cylinders, the rear brake shoe contacts the
drum sooner than it would with the larger cylinders, hence the smaller
cylinder will lock up the rear brakes sooner.

Does this make sense ? If I lost you, sorry, but, if I made sense...I did
it with no hands (something difficult for me )<g>.

Not a hydraulic engineer, don't wanna be, undoubtedly gonna hear from all
the fluidly enhanced individuals on the list, Nomex on <g>

    Nick in Nor Cal