Re Driveshaft straps?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re Driveshaft straps?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 14:29:19 -0700
Richard C. writes
     < snip >
>The drive shaft on the spit project has had the straps removed and the 2
>parts bolted together. Of course all the catalogs the are listed NA. How
>necessary are these?
     < snip >
The straps are there for a reason - they are important.  I have heard of
some installations where these are not used but, they take up the fore-aft
movement of the engine and differential.  Granted it isn't much but without
them you will be putting considerable strain on the u-joints and yokes and
possibly inducing vibration in the driveline.  Even on driveshafts without
the straps the movement is taken up by a sliding shaft.  It also allows for
variation in production tolerances.  I personally wouldn't remove them - but
would fabricate new ones from stainless steel.  Shouldn't be to hard to
manufacture.  Yes you can use the driveshaft from the GT6 lengthened or
shortened to fit.  Just make sure that the yoke flanges match the ones on
your engine and diff.  Rather than bolting the old on without straps, I
would re-size the GT shaft.  GT shafts aren't unique to the GT6 so your not
destroying something irreplacable.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego, CA)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)