Spitfire Distributor Woes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Distributor Woes
From: TRIA73@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 06:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
I'm having what I believe to be a problem with the Delco-Remy distributor in
my '73 Spit.  The timing will go from 14 BTDC to 2 BTDC and then back again
while idling in the garage or out for a drive.  The dwell is fluctuating
approx. 2 to 4 degrees which seems minimal considering the timing problem.
 I've replaced the basic tune-up items.  One thing that I did notice is that
the distributor cap had excessive wear on the center contact point on the
inside where the rotor contacts the lead from the coil.  One friend suggested
that the compensation springs may be worn.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Randy Dunn
1973 Triumph Spitfire
MAKE EVERY DAY A TRIUMPH DAY!