FW: re Transmission removal

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: re Transmission removal
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 22:48:19 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     Message too long (>10000 chars)]

     Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:31:41 -0700
     From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@nuera.com>
     Subject: re Transmission removal

> After several days of listening to my car sound like 10 screaming chickens
> evry time I push the clutch in, I sought advice and was told I needed a new
> throw out bearing.  I decided to replace the whole clutch while I'm in there.
>  I've got the whole thing torn apart and ready to come out but don't want it
> to end up on the floor.  Is there any hope of a semi-out of shape 30
> something manually lifting the tranny out of the car or do I need a hoist?
>  How much does the transmission weigh?  Help would be appreciated.

I'd agree with all the other contributors - it's possible with one but two are
much more preferable.
Here's one experience I had that I've never forgotten :-

The Herald came to a crunching stop - thankfully at a place where I could coax
it the last few feet to a resting place off the road at the rear of my block of
flats. I'd decided the gearbox had gone so had already organised a second hand
replacement...
Extracting the gearbox was simple. Removed the transmission tunnel cover,
removed the clutch slave cylinder, placed a jack under the rear of the engine
sump pan and one under the gearbox, removed the U/J bolts at the rear of the
gearbox, undid the dozen or so bell housing bolts and slid the whole gearbox
off the splines - then with a big effort hauled it out and over the driver's
seat and dumped it on the floor.
Replacing was a different matter. I decided it had to be done one evening, so
began preparing the 'new' replacement and at about 10pm decided to fit it in
the car 'cos it'll only take a couple of hours at the most! The jacks were
still in place so with a big effort I lifted the gearbox back over the driver's
seat and positioned it roughly on the jack. Now it'll be plain sailing, I
thought. It was now about 11pm and it had just started to snow. The only
lighting being a street light and an old flickering torch, I was beginning to
wonder if I'd have to 'feel' the gearbox into place - but it came off easily so
it should be OK!
Sprauled over the seat with half my body outside in the snow and my arms around
the gearbox I began to attempt to mate the 'box to the engine. Problem was I
couldn't eye up the inclination of the engine and every time I shifted the box
forward it fell off the jack and scuffed up my arms and wrists on the edges of
the floorpans. The jack wouldn't roll forward 'cos of the rough gritty surface
of the track so I decided I'd have to try and lift and push and only rely on
the jack for resting on when I got tired!
It was now midnight and my flat mate came out to see what I was up to. After
'helpful' comments like - aren't you getting cold? I wouldn't even be driving
in this weather , when are you going to finish? I wish I knew how to fix cars!
your torch is a bit dim isn't it? etc he decided to stay and chat for moral
support! Having your arms firmly wrapped around a gearbox is helpful at times
like this! So finally, one hour later and after watching me heave and shove etc
with no success he decided he'd have to get to bed and off he went. Thanks!
There I was, no better off than I was 2 hours previously, in fact unbelievably
tired, bruised, hungry, cold, fed-up etc but not in a mood to be beaten. With
what seemed an almighty effort suddenly I felt the box slide into position with
a click. The euphoria was shortlived! Where did I put that bellhousing nut! One
arm trying to hold the box in position and the other scrabbling in the dirt I
finally found a nut and as I tried to pick it up, still spreadeagled across the
seat, I let the box drop marginally and felt it slip back off the splines and
onto the jack! I couldn't believe my misfortune - but, always look on the
bright side, at least the clutch was aligned and it would mate up OK! Hope,
desperation etc fuelled one last attempt and finally I had the box in place at
4am. I didn't dare test it in case of waking all the neighbourhood so cleaned
up, crawled in to bed and got up at 7am to go to work...
The really galling part of the story is this - the differential had seized!!

Moral.
1) Use a warm garage
2) Have at least one helper
3) Use a trolley jack on a smooth surface
4) Have good lighting
5) Don't expect it just to slot into place first time
6) Don't start reassembly late when you're already exhausted
7) It'll just take..... forget it!
8) Take the seats out
9) Make the correct diagnosis!
10) etc etc

Best of luck - you learn the hard way!

There must be loads of you out there with similar stories - how about we share
our 'trying' and 'humourous' experiences - we always can have a good laugh
later!

Andy