Distributor - Spitfire

To: triumph-group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: Distributor - Spitfire
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 04 May 1997 10:28:43 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 08262336CC74B005-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 04 May 1997 10:28:43 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 04 May 1997 10:28:43 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <08262336CC74B005*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Well, pulled the dizzy on my Mk I Spit this weekend with intent to rebuild
it.  It's an AC Delco D200 with vacuum and mech. advance and the neat little
manual advance mechanism on the side.  I knew the internal mech. advance was
stuck and wasn't working so time to rebuild.  Discovered:

1)  Bottom thrust washer was broken into 3 bits.
2) Could not drive out rivet from drive dog (even ground off the little head
with dremel - no luck, it's stuck).
3) I want to stick with stock unit because Mallory and others do not have
the mech. tach drive off the side which is needed for mech. tach in dash.

Options - (a) Try to scrounge up a replacement from Dick Berger or others,
(b) send to British Parts Northwest to exchange for rebuilt unit - $144 and
not clear that they carry the old D200 unit on an exchange basis (maybe they
will rebuild for me?) (c) send to John Kipping Spares in the UK for rebuild
 - about $100 U.S. not including shipping (figure another $25 each way -
ouch) and turn around time is 4 weeks minimum putting me into mid-June
before car can be driven again.

I plan to call BPN on Monday, but would like any list members input/opinions
as to which route to take.  I'd rebuild it myself if I could just get that
#@!&%$#*!@&! rivet out of the drive dog. (aaarrrgh).  Thanks all,

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe