TR-6 spin-on oil filters. again.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-6 spin-on oil filters. again.
From: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 21:45:16 -0700
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8627203423ssutton@mail.ridgecrest.ca.us>
Posted-date: Sat, 3 May 1997 21:43:49 -0700 (PDT)
With all this talk of spin-on oil filters I remember seeing some cut-aways of
different brand oil filters at some parts house several years ago.  As I
remember the display had a Fram, AC and Wix brand filters displayed.  The Fram
was really 'cheesy', fairly skimpy filter element with a thin strip of metal
supporting the bottom of the element.  The AC filter used a coil spring to
support the filter element, had more 'pleats' for the filter element and the
filter housing was made of thicker gauge metal.  The Wix filter was about the
same as the AC filter, but clearly looked like it's filter element was
superior, many more pleats and was rated to flow more oil and filter to a
smaller micron.

I switched to Wix filters.  Found out they mainly make filters for industrial
equipment (dozers, earth movers, etc...).  When I moved I could not find them
anymore, so I switched to AC's.

I seem to remember that someone on the list mentioned that one of the big parts
house's (maybe NAPA or Big A or..) was selling Wix filters under their own
name.  Anyone have any ideas?  I really liked their filters.  Or anyone know
where you can buy Wix filters mail-order?

Thanks.

Steve Sutton
74 1/2 TR-6 - daily driver!
ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us