76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (TRIUMPHS)
Subject: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings
From: Don Haw <don@ngs.noaa.gov>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 16:20:53 EDT
Cc: don@ngs.noaa.gov (Don Haw)
Hi all:

It has been a year since I've been on.  I have a serious grinding problem
coming from my right rear wheel.  I had asked advice from you all in the past
(last year) and you guys and gals thought it might be my U-Joints.

I had a friend look at it a couple of weeks ago and before we took anything
apart, we determined the grinding noise was coming from inside the brake area.
A serious click would arise when we turned the wheel.  We also noticed a
white powder on the reat wheel cylinder and the cylinder boot was cracked or
rotted.

My question is, What tool do I use to get the hub off to get to the bearings?
Then, How do I replace the wheel bearings?  What kind of grease, etc?

Sincerely,

The Novice - Don Haw
'76 Spit 1500
Maryland