Spitfire Tuning

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire Tuning
From: David M Brock <dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 12:07:19 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Fellow Listers:

I have a few questions about tuning the 1500 engine in a Spitfire.  I feel
I must preface this by saying that I am *not* a mechanic, though I am
mechanically inclined. (I think I fit in here)

I am running a little rich, according to the old plugs, and I'd like to
try to tune it properly, but all that I read (in the Haynes & other
manual) about tuning says that before doing the carbs, I should ensure
that I have done the valves and exhaust.

I have replaced the exhaust (last year) with a free-flow system that
sounds great, but I have been told degrades performance a little (not
enough back-pressure?).  Anyway, adjusting the valves means that I have to
open up the valve cover, and fiddle in there with bolts & feeler guages,
right?  I have this aversion to actually opening up the top of my engine,
maybe because as a kid I took too many of my toys apart, and never got
them working again...

Is it really very forbidding, or am I fretting over a job that is quite
straightforward?

--
David Brock                       dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca
Information Technology Services   The University of Western Ontario