Re: gas additives

To: cb1500@erols.com, streeter@sanders.com
Subject: Re: gas additives
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 23:42:02 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-05-01 21:02:30 EDT, cb1500@erols.com (Charlie Brown)
writes:
  [In answer to "By this isopropyl alcohol, do you simply mean the kind that
you
  get at the drug store, sold as 'Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol?' Ken].

>No. That alcohol is already saturated with water. You'll need to find the
>"dry gas" Isopropyl sold in the auto supply houses. Just check the label.

> I've got no idea why they even sell the Methanol formula. I've actually
>  done a test with similar containers filled with gas and water. In one
>  container I added the Methanol, and it did mix with the water, which in
>  the winter would keep the water from freezing. The problem was the
>  mixture remained at the bottom of the bottle. With the Isopropyl, the
>  alcohol mixed with the water, and with a single shake, became a
>  homogenous with the gas. Initially, the same thing happened with the
>  Methanol, but it eventually settled out.
>
>  The Methanol formula typically sells around here in the DC area for
>  about 89 cents. The Isopropyl bottle sells for about $1.09.
>
>  Hope that helps,
>  Charlie B.

Listers,  just another 2cents.  The Public Broadcasting Network's Motorweek
show (segment Pat Goss of Goss' Garage) showed the same mixing test a few
weeks ago and recommended the Isopropyl over the Methanol for the same
reasons. (Look for "dry gas" products and read the label - some contain
methanol and some Isopropyl.)  I remember reading the same thing about 3
years ago in an auto magazine.  And it has worked for me.
Also keep the tank filled as much and as often often as possible (without
driving yourself crazy).  This prevents "sweating" of water vapor on the
inside walls of the gas tank.  The "dry gas" soaks up any water that may have
condensed in the tank and gotten into the fuel system.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)