Re: TR 2/3/A Security against theft

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Subject: Re: TR 2/3/A Security against theft
From: Rick deOlazarra <cattail@slip.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 08:27:11 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
John Cowan wrote:

>         There was an earlier thread on security which I missed; so here are
> some observations in case anyone wants to comment.
>         It seems to me that a sidescreen TR regular driver would want to
> put some sort of theft deterrent in place. When you can jumper the ignition
> with a quarter and there's a pushbutton starter under the hood, you have a
> vulnerable car.
>        Auto theft is a sorting process.  Even though theft cannot be
> absolutly prevented, anything that makes the job more complicated or time
> consuming stands to reduce the likelyhood.  A reasonable and not too hassle
> ridden strategy might include:
>
> 1. Choosing a safe place to park and leave the car.
> 2. A steering wheel lock.
> 3. A hood lock.  Anyone seen one that would be suitable for a sidescreen TR?
> 4. Something to interrupt the electrics under the dash.  I noticed that
> with the ammeter out, dsah electrics seemed crippled.  Might a terminal
> block, in series with the ammeter, with a lockable, reversible plugin
> conductor/insulator be effective.
>
>         Any thoughts?
> John
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
> experiment, plus articles, article outlines and Left/Progressive links at:
>            http://sj.znet.com/~jfcowan/

John:
   Though I'm sure your economic and/or political thoughts and
considera-
tions, as well as those of others, are an important and meaningful
thread
in the fabric of your life, and honor you for it, I have to say that I
take exception to the signpost for your website that you've elected to
include in your postings to the Triumph list. I want to be as civilized
as possible about this, and I AM on your side, and appreciate your input
regarding all things Triumph, but, please, would you exclude the refer-
ence to your site in future postings here? :o|

Rick '74 Spitfire