Re: Spit Rear-end Change out.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit Rear-end Change out.
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 08:30:39 -0700
Darrel - < content edited slightly for length >

>  I have heard (well read anywhay) several people say something about
>the advantages of installing the later Mk IV or Spit 1500 rear suspension,
>1.  What is the advantage to this swap?  I know the wheels will be about
>two inch's fuarther apart (track?), and this may help cornering, Yes?  Is
>this the only improvement.
*************************************
No, increased reliabiliy from the stronger parts is also a benefit.  You may
want to check the ratio of the later unit.  It may be a 3.63:1 and might be
a little tall for a stock 1300.
**************************************

>2.  How difficult is this swap?
>What are the steps to this swap and what parts are needed from the
>contributing car?  I have the Differential, axle shafts, and spring from
>a 1978 1500 and am thinking about putting them in my 1967 Mk III.  Is
>this all I will need?
***************************************
No.  You will also need the radius arms and tub brackets (they install at a
different angle on the later swing springs) plus the brake hoses will have
to be changed with one inch longer units, NOT just the hoses from the later
Spitfire as mounting locations are in different places.  These can be
purchased from any good parts supply house that can cross reference hoses by
type, not just manufacturer.  Also the parking brake cable that spans the
brakes will have to be replaced with the longer unit.  all this however can
be avoided by using the axles from a 71, 72 MK4.  (or just swapping the
u-joint axle flanges with the later 1500 ones to match the later diff) The
track, axles and such are the same as the MK3 with the exception that these
use the uprated axle flanges.  If you don't change the tranny you will have
to replace the u-joint flange at the diff on the drive shaft with the later
flange to match the diff.  If you don't use the longer axles you won't get
the advantage of the wider track though.
>  I am already putting the O.D. transmission and maybe the 1500 engine
>from the 1978 into the 1967, may just end up with a complete 1978 drive
>line in this thing.

Probably the way to go -

BTY-Would a comphresive list of the changes of this type be a benefit on the
VTR website? (or is ther one already?)  possibly I could put something
together as this seems to come up from time to time -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)