Re: TR6 electronic ignition alternatives

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 electronic ignition alternatives
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 23:34:39 -0400
Shane F. Ingate wrote:
> Are there any significant differences (other than $$)
> between the different electronic ignition systems out there,
> eg, Crane, Allison, Mallory and MSD?

  As far as I know, the Crane and the Allison are the
same unit.

  The only Mallory system I know is the unit that is
basically a new distributor, it's a dual-point style
distributor but with electronic ignition. Is it
possible to buy a mallory EI system for a LUCAS
distributor?

  The MSD I have not heard of.

  I'm a big fan of the Pertronix actually. it's different
than the above. The main advantage is that it all fits
under the distributor cap. Critical if you care about
visual originality, but even if you don't care about
originality it means you don't have to make a space
and drill holes and so on.

> Things to consider (other than $$) is ease of
> starting, HP-increase, rev-quality, ease of installation,
> etc.

  I would suspect that all those issues except ease
of installation would be the same for any electronic
ignition. You are only switching the low tension
circuit, it's really the high tension circuit that
can supply the big sparks for starting and horsepower.

  Assuming that any modern product produces a near
perfect fall time on switching (which is easy to
design, and should all be fine) they should all
be fine in that respect. It's up to the coil
and wiring to convert that wave into the big
spark.

  For ease of installation, the pertronix is the best
of the units I know. Takes about the same time as
changing the points. Take out the points, screw
on the unit. Put the rotor on the shaft. Reassamble
the distributor and route two wires out to your
coil. Set timing, drive away.

--
 /       Trevor Boicey         1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget     /