%#@!*&^ rear springs again!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: %#@!*&^ rear springs again!
From: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 21:45:47 -0500 (CDT)
One of you guys out there told me I would have a hassle with new heavy duty
springs on an early 6, but did I listen?  Nooooooo......:(

Here is the deal.  I got everything together and dropped the car down.  The
left wheel cocked out at the top at a much farther angle than the right.  I
found I had attached the left outside bracket upside down.  I reversed that
tonight and dropped the car and it has improved but still tips out at the
top more than the right side.  (is this camber?)

I have the brackets torqued up tight to the frame with same amount of shims
on both sides.  (three on the inside and 4 on the outside)  I have not yet
tightened up the bolts that hold the swing arm to the brackets as this
should be done with people in the car,( but I don't think that would solve
me problem anyway).

I have measured the ground to fender lip and it is 29 on the right and 29
and 3/4 on the left.  The distance from shock pad to rubber bump stop is 1/4
inch on the left and 1/2 to 3/4 on the right.

The shims only control toe-in don't they?  Changing them would not control
my problem.  I think I need to do some changing with the brackets.  What
part do shocks play in the problem?  I did not do anything with them as they
felt good and strong.

Any suggestions would be helpful and I will listen this time!  Not quite
ready to sell a new set of heavy duty shocks but keep watching!
                Gary, Frances Nafziger
                Wellman, Iowa