Re: Lift Throttle Backfiring

To: Daniel Julien <djulien@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Lift Throttle Backfiring
From: John Suchak <maxx@cybermax.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 22:33:56 -0400
Cc: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>, Triumph GroupReturn requested <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Daniel Julien wrote:

> My '69 Datsun 1600 (OK, but I sold it 23 years ago and replaced it with my
> first LBC) used to do exactly the same thing. It had Hitachi carbs which
> were actually very close copies of SUs. It never bothered me much, either.
> I always assumed that this condition was caused by the carbs not responding
> adequately to the vacuum conditions of deceleration and supplying too rich
> a mixture, leaving unburned fuel. A check of my Haynes Zenith-Stromberg
> manual, however, indicates the opposite - it is caused by too LEAN a
> mixture, which burns more slowly, and is still burning when the exhaust
> valve opens. It goes on to say that the Z-S carb performs well in this
> situation because reduced mass (of the piston) and reduced friction allow
> it to respond immediately when the throttle is closed. So is this an SU
> thing? Any of you more knowledgeable folks out there able to shed more
> light?

For what it's worth....

I used to have a tuner who worked on my GSXR-750 who would jet and
adjust the carbs so the bike would burble and pop on trailing throttle.
The first time I watched him I thought he was nuts, but the mix was
always perfect.  Eventually I became able to tell if it was too fat or
too lean just by the sound of the exhaust at wide open and trailing
throttle.  Can't be a SU thing, since this had 4 Mikuni flat slides on
it.

Go figure...