Re: Spit Mk3 Frame color

To: token@ridgecrest.ca.us
Subject: Re: Spit Mk3 Frame color
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 09:34:33 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, odd@triumphclub.se
token@ridgecrest.ca.us wrote:
> A question to the collective genius,
> What is the concensus on what color the frame of a 1967 Spit
> Mk3 should be?

All the genuinely original early Spitfires I've ever had a chance
to look closely upon has been painted the same colour on both frame
and body.

> ... does anyone think Triumph would have used a very late 1966
> frame on a very early 1967 Spit?  My chassis has two numbers on
> it, an FC and an FD number, the FC number is in the 91K area.
> The more likely answer is that during an earlier restoration a
> 1966 frame was slid under the 1967 car.

I think You've answered Your own question here. But I'm curious, does
Your frame have a FRAME NUMBER? If found, it should be affixed to
the crossmember under the steering rack. Most frames didn't get the
number welded on but some actually did get one - did Yours?

> And one other thing, is the commissioning number plate always
> on the left side above the body number plate?

Usually, Yes. I've never encounted the opposite...

Yours
Odd
--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,