Re: Spring - Spitfire

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Spring - Spitfire
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:31:13 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk
...snip

HOW RIGHT YOU ARE!!!! SOMEONE MIGHT GET REALLY P****D...

> Hmmmm,  Has anyone ever put a 3.63:1 Diff into a 1300 MkIV Spit,
> as I have a wailing diff and an assumed good 3.63:1 replacement,
> will the higher gearing make it A LOT more gutless than it already
> is???
> Rich

Probably, yes. You will have to do a lot more gear shifting in heavy,
or city, traffic since third gear will be used A LOT more to get ANY
decent acceleration out of the Spit. Remember the 3,63 was intended
for larger engines with higher torque. The 1500 is really a little
weak when one compares the vehicle weight to engine torque ratio.
A two litre engine is more suited for such a diff... Fitting a 3,63
in a 1296 Spit MkIV is like fitting an overdrive... And no one would
ever dream of trying to drive their car with overdrive engaged all
the time, would they? I've had exactly that fault in my gearbox once
and the car was a pig to drive, believe me! With a supercharged 1296
engine it's another thing, then You've got the torque needed. But on
the other hand the engine wouldn't last long... The only reason for
fitting such a diff in a Spit would be to raise the mileage by
sacrificing acceleration and general driveability.
Just my two bits of info,
remember YMMV!
BFN
/Odd

PS
There's a guy in our Club looking for a decent 3,63 to replace the
3,89 he had to use when his 1500 trashed the original 3,63. Maybe I
should put You two in contact with each other?

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,