TR4 Steel shim head gasket?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 Steel shim head gasket?
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 00:43:43 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all,

     I'm new to computers, so I've just found this site.  I bought my first
Triumph, a 1965 TR4A-IRS in 1972.  I still have that car, but it has been
sitting unused for many years.
     Last year I bought a 1964 TR4.  I have the head off that car, and I plan
to install a steel head gasket that I have saved for many years.  It's the
one supplied by the factory, and I've done the work required for fitting,
such as opening the bore, and the cylinder head studs, but I can't remember
which side goes up.  Should it be installed with the ridges facing the block
or the head?  What about gasket sealant?  What should I use there?

Thanks.
Rich Rock
1964 TR4
1965 TR4A-IRS
1967TR4A  (a parts car--what do you need?)