Re: TR6 Article-long response-

To: mlibhart@feist.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Article-long response-
From: lgmiceli@juno.com (Lawrence G Miceli)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:13:47 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 20 Apr 1997 22:57:16 -0500 Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
writes:
>Just received my latest copy of Classic Auto Restorer magazine. One of
>the featured cars this month is an immaculate 71 TR6 - a $25K
>restoration project.  I found one interesting bit of information in
>the
>article. The owner stated that he preferred a "bullet-proof" clutch
>set-up, and after much research, found that a Sachs pressure plate for
>the Saab 900 and a clutch release bearing for the Toyota Land Cruiser
>were perfect fits, and are, in his words, indestructible.
>
>Martin Libhart
>1972 TR6 (driver)
>1970 Spitfire Mk.3 (under restoration)

Martin,

When did you get the issue? What is the cover car?

I used to own that car! I sold it to George Proctor of Pompano Beach, FL
, and he had Dean Houston of British Sports Car Works (Boca Raton)
restore it.

 The clutch set up is a combination of ideas put together by Dean Houston
and J.K. Jackson (Tallahassee TR Guru). I forget which one came up with
which part, but the combination works so well that TRF has been selling
the kit for some time. After replacing the stock throwout bearing twice
it was determined that the mfg had changed the design so that the std
bearing would fit a whole bunch of cars which led to limited life span in
the TR application (this directly from the mfg!) That's when Dean started
looking for an alternative, as he had just replaced a bunch for free when
they failed on customers' cars and he warrantied the job.

I have been running the combination in my '76 TR6 for about 5K miles and
it really is terrific. Variable clutch release on a Triumph used to be
impossible with the old ON/OFF clutch set up. Now it feels like a modern
car. (BTW,  I don't have any financial interest in British Sports Car
Works)

BTW, the car is PERFECT. Not really over-restored with chrome or anything
like that,  but as perfect original as any TR6 could be. Even the
original hardware was glass-beaded and re-plated so that the correct bolt
head patterns were used. George found an original Lucas battery (no, not
a sticker put over an Interstate battery), and an original cvt top and
frame for the car. The top assy was still in the parts bag, has the
cross-hatching in the vinyl on the underside and fits better than any
aftermarket top I have ever seen. Makes me think that AMCO used an old
shrunk-up top to make their pattern.

The car was invited to show at the Amelia Island Concourse de Elegance
(the East Coast Pebble Beach, as stated by Auto Week, Automobile Magazine
& Road & Track) and while it lost to a perfect early Lamborgini, it was
really something to see a production Triumph being shown  with low
production imports, classic Cords and Dusenbergs, et al. For those who
subscribe to the British Marque Car Club News, last month's issue had
photos and a story about the show.

Larry Miceli
'76 TR6
'73 Stag -really ticking me off-