Re: Major Bummer

To: Scott.Mackay@SEMATECH.Org, triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Major Bummer
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:00:36 -0500
Scott.Mackay@SEMATECH.Org wrote:

       OK guys, I can use your help.

       Driving into work yesterday, in stop an go traffic, the guy
  behind me
       decided that he did not need to stop.  Needless to say, a
  minivan doing 40
       does a LOT of damage to a TR6.  The car spun, taking a lot of
  the energy,
       but the passenger side still an accordian, and I don't think
  there is a
       straight piece of sheet metal on the car.  I was able to walk
  away from the
       wreak, and for that I am grateful!  However, now I must deal
  with all on
       the administrativa.

       After owning and driving it for a couple of years, I had
  created a lot of
       sentimental in the car, but I cannot claim that on the
  insurance form.
       What I need is a solid $$ value for the car so I can preempt
  the insurance
       company in the totaled value.  Does anyone have a good
  recomendation for
       where to look to get an estimated value?  I was planning to
  pull the local
       car rags to get comps for the area, and back this up with the
  collectable
       books.  Am I missing anything else?  I will definitely check
  with the local
       Triumph club (HCTC, Austin, TX) also.

       Thanks for any info.

       BTW, I am now looking for a straight frame and body that I can
  transplant
       my newly apointed interior and dravetrain into.  Preferably in
  or around
       Austin, TX.  Or else, I will start parting out the remains.

       Thanks,

       Scott Mackay

     Scott, sorry to hear about your accident.  Here in New Orleans most
'6 seem to be listed from 2000 - 6000 depending on condition of the car.
Find one in like condition to yours and adjust based on how much you
have invested in yours.  Be prepared to backup your calims with receipts
for parts, repairs etc.   If you let them give you so called book value
you will get very little.
      You also might want to check out your Diff / Trans. I got one off
a parts car that had hammered in the rear pretty hard. The pinion gear
was shattered and the diff was useless! I would suspect that this could
have happend to you also.  The trans could have taken some damage also,
from the drive shaft being forced into it..

--
Roger Helman
71 TR6 CC67866L