CV joints for TR4a- TR6 rear axle shafts

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: CV joints for TR4a- TR6 rear axle shafts
From: Tom Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:24:38 -0600
I noticed and ad from SNG Barrat  ( A heritage parts supplier) that they have a
conversion system to convert the rear axle shafts. on the big IRS TR's to a
double CV joint setup.  This is supposed to help make life easier in two ways.

1. ease of maintenance the u joints wear quite quickly
2. no spline lock, where during acceleration or deceleration the spline stop
sliding causing the wheel to stop its normal up and down movement.

I checked into it and the price is pretty high about $900 US (600 pounds).
I mentioned this to a friend who is a machinist he suggested that we could make
a similar setup for much less (about half give or take ).  Of course the more
he would make the lower the price would be.

This would be with new CV joints and would reuse an axle shaft (not TR) and
the stub axle (some of the details are not sure yet).   It would cost more if
he has to do rebuild the hub (he can do it, I have the backing plate described
in the 6 tech article and he has the 50 ton press).

Is there anyone else out there who would be interested please let me know.
This would work for all the IRS TR's not sure about a Stag or the 2000.

Tom Leake
65 Tr4 a IRS  (with rear hubs apart)