Re: Gas Tank

To: PAUL LOGUE <GPAULOGUE@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Tank
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:58:53 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
PAUL LOGUE wrote:

> I am reassembling my 77 Spit.
>
> The gas tank was fine when I took the car apart and it appears to be in fine
> shape.
> However, I would like to flush it out but can't seem to do that.  Evidently,
> there are baffles of sorts inside that keep me from being able to dump fuel
> out after I add it for rinsing.
> Anybody have experience with this?
>
> Paul Logue
> Midland, GA
Paul; to be on the safe side, NEVER use gasoline to clean anything! If
you get the slightest spark, the fumes contained in an empty gas tank
will explode with the force of couple of sticks of dynamite!
Take the tank to a radiator shop and have them clean it out in their dip
tank. Then seal the tank with one of the sealers available, Eastwood
comes to mind.
As an example, last year at a near by marina, a boater forgot to vent
his bilge before fueling up. When he hit the starter, the boat, the
boater, 2 adjacent boats, and some of the dock were history! Gas fumes
are not to be messed with! Sad to say, we seem to get one of these
incidents every year, mostly from people who ignore safety procedures!