Re: 79 spit conv to overdrive tranni

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 79 spit conv to overdrive tranni
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:57:32 -0700

>what kind of a project am i looking at when I consider
>converting a 79 spit std tranni to one w/overdrive in
>it?   < snip >
*******************************
Richard,
You will need a longer spedo-cable w/right angle drive, possibly a
re-calibration of the spedometer.  You will also need to cut a portion away
from the tunnel of the body to accomodate the longer tranny/ovd combo.  Then
fabricate or use an overdrive cover plate to cover the cut-away section.
You will need a tranny/ovd combination or at the very least an overdrive
unit, mainshaft, adapter and shift lever/knob assy.  You will also need the
mounting plate for the overdrive and the new transmission mount, shorten or
get a ovd driveshaft the proper length plus you will need to
fabricate/purchase a overdrive wiring harness, and switches/relay to finish
it off.  All pretty straight forward -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)