Re: TR6 Body Shells (was Re: Body Dolly / Plans)

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Body Shells (was Re: Body Dolly / Plans)
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 15:12:51 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Streeter wrote:

> Tom Tweed wrote:
>
> > You might be able to find someone who has bought one of the new
> > TR-6 body shells..
>
> I'm getting a little off the original thread with this,
> but I just read somewhere (current issue of Practical
> Classics?) in a brief article with some noteworthy TR
> authority (Graham Robson?) that the TR6 body shells
> reproduced by British Motor Heritage were not selling
> well at all, in marked contrast to the MGB body shells.
>
> I seem to recall that the article indicated that less
> than 100 TR6 body shells had been sold, all together,
> representing really only one production run, while
> thousands of MGB shells had been sold to date.  Has
> anybody else heard this?  If so, can you confirm or
> deny accuracy?  I fear that TR6 body shell production
> may be lost forever, at least at a reasonable cost,
> if the volume doesn't pick up drastically!
>
> --ken
>
> --
> Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
> Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
> PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
> Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631

Can't confirm information - but I read the same article.  Your numbers
sound about right, from my memory.  Article further stated slim chance
of other Triumph body shells in future, since most all of the original
tooling was gone, sold, non-existent, etc.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)
1970 Spitfire Mk.3 (under restoration)