Re: Dash Refinishing

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: Dash Refinishing
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:25:02 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> Art, a matter of curiosity only: why wouldn't/couldn't one do this on a
>  TR4 dash? IMS, it's pretty much the same sort of plywood/veneer
>  arrangement, isn't it? Or is your concern about execessive heat distorting
>  or lifting the veneer? I'll admit that I would be concerned about that!

Two concerns.  First, the heat possibly causing the walnut veneer to peel off
the plywood and second, the sandpaper scratching the veneer.  IMO, based on
personal experience, IF the veneer is in good shape the best bet is to use a
mild varnish/paint remover and a dull putty knife to scrape the old
varnish/finish off.  Then mineral spirits to clean the veneer and finally a
new finish carefully put on.  I used extremely fine sandpaper only between
the layers of the new finish - Not on the veneer.

  I actually did the whole thing about 3 times (i.e. peeled old finish,
refinished, went all the way back to zero, started again, back to zero and
finally did it right) because I was not happy with some of the things I did
when putting on the new finish.  The first time I sprayed the finish -
fisheyes.  The second time - dust particles, brush marks and scratches in the
finish.  The third time I used a sponge paint brush, allowed plenty of time
for drying before the between-the-coats sanding.  The result was just like
when the car was new.  BTW - the TR4 dashes were high gloss which is
difficult because one can see the imperfections.

>  As I told John privately, I'd certainly practice first on a scrap
>  dashboard panel (fortunately, I've access to same) before trying a good
>  one. Meanwhile, though, I've got one I'm working on now where the finish
>  is nicely peeling itself off for me due to age and cracking! A little
>  gentle persuasion with a razor-blade has, so far, gotten about 50% of the
>  finish off with NO damage!

Sounds good and if it's working then I'd say "go for it."  The thing about
using the remover is that it chemically "melts" the varnish and thins it so
that the putty knife glides over the veneer.  Hope I''ve explained myself
coherently.

Cheers
Art Kelly