Shell 4000 TR4s

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shell 4000 TR4s
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:08:14 -0400
I posted this inquiry to my pals over on the rally list the other day:

"Over on the Triumph mailing list there has been quite a bit of speculation
and curiosity as to what happened to the 3 factory Triumph TR4's that ran
the Shell 4000 in 1964 (?). They were originally powder blue, with aluminum
body panels, hardtops and no bumpers. The front fenders had vents cut into
the sides. The engines had duel Weber carbs, and they ran on Minilite
wheels. Any leads on their present where-abouts?"

and a fellow in Maryland named Len Picton responded:

"The tr-4s did not run on minilites, they ran on american racing silverstones.
There was 4 of them. One is in England and was featured in a Magazine in the
last few years. I think one was wrecked. After the Shell 4000, one of them
found its way into Dick Zwitser's hands. He was a Triumph dealer at the time.
About four years ago, i heard that someone found this car in the barn of the
guy who bought it from Dick. Good Luck!"

I know of Mr. Zwitser. He owns a Volvo dealership in Rochester, NY and was
a ralliest of considerable note in the late '60s and early '70s. He had a
TR6 set up for rallying (!!) that was quite impressive. I wonder if that
TR4 is still in the Rochester area?

Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951