Re: generator polarizing

To: "Zink" <Tiger245@concentric.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: generator polarizing
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr" <mw_jordan@nationalpicture.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:13:20 -0500
You will need to repolarize the new generator.  The drill is outlined in
the Triumph Register homepage and involves taking a long wire from the
battery (either pos or neg, depending on whether you have converted to neg
ground or have left it Pos ground; you want to have the "hot" lead
connected to the battery) and touching for a few seconds to the field
terminal on the new generator.  The section of the FAQ from www.vtr.org
follows:

"7.Disconnect the two leads to the generator. Temporarily connect one end
of a length of wire to the positive terminal of the battery. Touch the
other end of the wire to the F terminal on the generator (the one the
smaller lead is connected to, wire is brown with green stripe) several
times briefly. This repolarises the field windings so you get the proper
output. 8.Reconnect the two leads to the generator. "

Really easy.

I did read a thread on this group a few days that suggested just hooking up
the new generator and letting the car figure it out by itself, but there is
no reason why you should not do it the right way from the start.

Good luck.

MWJ