Gearshift Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gearshift Question
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 00:19:31 -0800
This question is about how the gearshift lever is supposed to fit in the
gearbox top cover extension, for the 3-rail gearbox. I have just
installed the rebush kit, and something's not right. In particular, I
think the nylon hemisphere "spherical bush" at the base of the shift
lever is sitting too deep in the hole in the top cover extension.

I am thinking that the top of the nylon bush is supposed to be more or
less flush with the top of the hole in the aluminum. Can anybody confirm
this? Mine is in there between 1/8" and 1/4" deep. As a result, the
Reverse baulk mechanism doesn't work (the screw thing scoots right under
the brand new Reverse Baulk plate, without me having to push down on the
lever - the same applied with the old mangled baulk plate before the
rebush kit), and I have to pull the "operating shaft" (the one the shift
lever bolts to) down to get the holes to line up, putting undue strain
on the nylon washers at the front end of the operating shaft.

So that's Part I of my question - the top of the hemispherical bushing
is supposed to be flush with the top of the aluminum housing, isn't it?

Part II is, what am I missing? Right now the nylon ball is sitting
directly in the aluminum cup. I think there's supposed to be something
down in the bottom of the cup, and I think I might have found a little
sliver of it when I took the thing apart. Or was that just compressed
dirt? If there is supposed to be something in there, what is it made of?
Does it have a part number? Why wasn't it included in my rebush kit?

Please stop me before I perpetrate a horrible KLUGE with a furniture
glider and a felt washer!!!

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald 1200, but this setup was the same on ALL 3-rail boxes