Factory Rally Cars

To: triumph digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Factory Rally Cars
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 21:11:43 +0000
Where are they? What happened to them?

The factory, or at least the enthusiasts at the factory, prepared four
TR4's for the European Rally Season of 1962. They competed in 1962 and
1963, and then in 1964 three of them were shipped to North America to
compete in the Shell 4000 Rally in Canada, having been converted to left
hand drive. In a magazine article from several years ago, the team
manager stated that those three were dispersed in North America after
the rally.

What happened to them?

One is known to exist in GB, owned several years ago by one Ian Cornish,
who restored it for the street. Now comes a recent post on the net
saying that Rivington Motors in England owns two of them (maybe one is
the former Cornish car).

Someone sent me a snapshot of one at a Reno or Las Vegas event two years
ago. I was assured by another party that his brother-in-law raced one in
SCCA for a number of years and then totalled it. I have also been
assured that one changed hands in Wisconsin several years ago for
$30,000, and of course there is the irrefutable sighting of one in a
Schenectady, NY body shop! These things have multiplied over the years!

They were unique. They had fender vents and aluminum body skins. They
were significant. Vic Elford's first supported ride was in one of them
(although he would rather talk about his Porsche experiences).

What really happened to them, and where are they now?