Re: Spitfire transmissions

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Spitfire transmissions
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 11:52:11 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Rich,
There's definitely no external difference between the two types of
three rail gearboxes... I've done the swap myself in my '70 Mk3.

They "stole" space for the synch equipment on the first gear from
the reverse gears, so no external modifications were necessary. This
made the gears for reverse narrower in the all synchro gearbox. Also
the "Reverse gear actuator" 114781 in the three rail top cover was
changed to the new design no 147394.
Boy was I puzzled before I went and bought the new actuator... ;-(
It was virtually impossible to engage reverse gear! Had to start over
again rebuilding the top cover assembly with the new actuator...

The question of exterior difference is _with_ or _without_ overdrive...
The propshaft is shorter _with_ overdrive fitted. But still the gear-
box itself is still the same.

Yours
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,