Happy tales from a car show (LBC's near V8's)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Happy tales from a car show (LBC's near V8's)
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 15:02:56 -0600
Hi all Terrick here reporting very happy news and Drive you LBC week ideas.

For the first time ever,  our clubs (Austin Healey, TR drivers club) and
the Winnipeg Sports Car Club (oldest scc in Canada!) did a display at the
World Of Wheels here in Winnipeg.  the WOW is a 3A International Show Car
Association "big motor and lots of gold and chrome plate" show... or so we
thought.

Over 25,000 people attended and I personally spoke to nearly three hundred
people who were interested enough to talk to me about my car, the 69 GT6+
showing as a vintage racer.  Our display included:

59 bugeye, red, restored,  1st in foreign sports
73 MGBGT, blue,  original with new paint,  2nd in foreign sports
69 GT6+, jasmine yellow, 3rd in "conservative late sports"
67 AH sprite F production racer, 1st in production racer
74 Johnson sports racer (copy of a March Cosworth Formula C) 1st in class
94 Piper F2000 (pro), 2nd in formula road racer

The last 3 had SOME resemblance to LBC's (the Johnson looks like a march,
and should have a cosworth under the hood) and I think the Piper is English.

Now, quite apart from wanting bragging rights that we all made it to the
podium (I think everyone does but it still feels great)  this could be a
very valuable lesson for all wanting to, as the thread said,  expose the
LBC habit to the general public again.  Yes,  many who attended didn't talk
to us,  but the kiddlets loved the bugeye,  the backwards baseball cap
crowd loved my "vintage racer"  (cpte with ram pipes on the strombergs and
a dummy in my Nomex behind the wheel with "radical" shades),  and just
about everyone admitted to having owned a 'B....

We will expand our membership by over ten percent.  I met 17 people who had
GT's,  two have parts, photos, and old drag racing trophies (?!?) for me.

Guys,  try your local show.  Put a collection of interesting,  recently
painted or very original cars together,  and see what happens.  i can
guarantee you will promote your club more in 3 days at a show like this
than all summer by "conventional" means.  Few were interested in
participating this year for fear of being "out of place", but  they are
lining up for the '98 show.

That would be about four cents worth by now.  Take this post back to your
local club as evidence the it CAN work,  even to a V8 crowd.  And post me
directly at dterrick@pangea.ca for further information.

LBC's have been found to live in the native american V8 jungle at last!

Dave Terrick