RE: Weber Advice Needed

To: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Weber Advice Needed
From: "Kevin Cordery (Cygnus)" <kevin.cordery@computeraid.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:10:00 +0100
Bob Lang wrote:
<snippety doo-dah>
>I'm putting a set of DCOE 40's on my TR6..........................

>At any rate, I seemed to have a problem doing hill starts. The engine
>acted as if it was starving for fuel. A few times, the engine just plain
>quit, a few times I was able to keep it running by applying throttle and
>a little choke.
>
>It ran great if I kept the revs above 3500, but it would not pull on its
>own below that.
>
>It idles fine, right at 950 or 1000 rpms.

It sounds as though the idle jets are supplying enough fuel for the
idle, but as soon as you open the trottle, the main jets are not kicking
in soon enough, and so from part throttle to 3500 revs, you are trying
to run the car on the idle jets. This can be caused by running a car
with too big a carb (bore size)

>Note: I have a stock TR6 "federal version", 1974 engine. I do not have a
>cam or anything.

er...NO CAM? I think you may have a bigger problem thatn you first
thought.....(humor)

>P.S. FWIW, the thing goes great in the 4000-6000 range. Lots of pull up
>there! But it is extremely loud without any mufflers!

4-6k, the main jets just coming into action?

Just  a thought, try running the car with the choke partially closed
(below the 3500 rpm mark), this should richen the mixture a bit, and may
help...if this works, look at changing the idle jet sizes.

Hope this helps...

Kevin.