A cry for help.....

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: A cry for help.....
From: "Kevin Cordery (Cygnus)" <kevin.cordery@computeraid.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 14:42:00 +0100
Dear listers, as you may recall, I have recently purchased a 3.5l TR7
(1981) which has had a lot of fibreglass bits added to it, hence there
is a fair amount of cracking around these GRP'd areas.

I decided to strip the paint back to the bare metal so I could do a
"proper job" on it, and I found 11 diferent layers of paint, ELEVEN!!,
thats not coats, thats different colourerd layers. Thanks god for
electric drills thats all I can say. ( I can't use a chemical stripper
because of the GRP), so now my problem is this.........

when the arches were added, any sane person would strip the paint back
to bare metal, bond the arches on and do a respray, but noooooooo, I
have an arch, 11 feathered layers and then the bare metal. I have
roughly sprayed over all this from aerosol cans (just to prevent rust
forming)first with grey primer and then matt black (just a can I had
laying around, but it looks kinda nice) and some of those layers show
through, when I have got the bady work "straight" I intend to get a
proffesional respray done, but will these layers show through? or will
the paints they use be more or less tolerant to this kind of thing?

any help/ideas gratefully recieved.

Kevin.