Re: sway bars tr3 - a contrarian view

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: sway bars tr3 - a contrarian view
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman) (by way of John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 21:23:12 -0800 (PST)
  I must be missing something here.  The only car I have ever ridden that
was more solid in turns than my TR-3 was a new '67 Corvette.  I've been
trying to figure out what the need is for the front sway bar on a 3.  I
almost put one on a '73 Plymouth Valiant that I once owned.  Now *there* was
a car that need help in the turns.
  I agree with TeriAnn about longer shackles in the back.  Rear suspension
travel on the 3 seems severely limited.  My car literally hops around uphill
turns and I feel more travel in back would help - as well as a rear sway bar.
  Note: This is a testimonial rather than an argument - I'm the last person
to claim expertise on automobile suspensions.
  John Cowan

At  9:42 PM 2/28/97 -0500, EPaul21988@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 97-02-28 18:11:54 EST, fontaine@scooby.lklnd.usf.edu
>(Richard Fontaine (ENG)) writes:
>
><< crew;
> while grinding around in the tr3 today, it takes the familiar "dive" in
> turns at 45-50, have been toying with putting trf sway bar on the front.
> any suggestions? anybody try it? any luck?
> dick fontaine
> 48mgtc
> 62tr3b >>

Here is my current understanding for making a 3 go around cournors.

1. make sure steering & front suspension is like new.

2. Install the compitition front coil springs, nylitron bushings, and SPAX
front shocks.

3. Add 1 inch front sway bar with nylitron bushings.

4. Leave old rear leaf springs alone unless they have broken leaves. You
want them to flex, not lift a rear wheel.

5. Install longer rear shackles so the rear frame can flex more without
lifting a rear tyre.

6. Rock & Roll

TeriAnn Wakeman            "Large format photographers look
Santa Cruz California       at the world upside down and
twakeman@scruznet.com       backwards"