Re: rust inside gas tank - 79 spit

To: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Re: rust inside gas tank - 79 spit
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:21:22 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, KEVIN EDDINS wrote:

> I recently found that i had a bit of water in the gas tank.  Upon removing it
> all i found that i had a little visible surface rust.
> For about $50 - $60 i can have it cleaned at a radiator shop, but i was
> hoping that there was some type of chemical that i could purchase and
> do it myself.

> If anyone knows about such a product, please let me know.

        Eastwood sells a gas tank sealer kit (I believe it's in the
        neighborhood of $25). Included is a length of chain (to knock the
        big chunks of rust off). To clean the not so flakey areas of rust
        (and to etch the surface of the metal) they include a bottle of
        phosporic acid. Once you've treated the tank with the acid, and
        thoroughly rinsed the tank, there's a bottle of solvent that will
        remove any errant water left over from rinsing. Then there's the
        the coating cream (It's an acryllic-like paint that is sloshed about
        inside the tank till it coats everything). Once dry your fuel tank
        should remain rust free (at least from the inside)... I hope.

        The whole process takes several days... You don't need any special
        tools (other than materials necessary to seal the tank, and a hair
        dryer).

        After sealing the "Green Man's" fuel tank this weekend, the idea of
        someone else doing the job for $60 seems almost like a bargain...

        Of course YMMV..

        tah,

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois