TR6 Click-be-gone

Subject: TR6 Click-be-gone
From: Kdoc111@aol.com
Date: 24 Feb 97 13:53:55 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
Following the advice of several others on the list, I recently replaced the
diff mounting bushings on my '71 TR6.  Also, as someone advised, I re-lubed
the splines on the axle shafts with a high-grade grease.

When the diff was out I replaced the oil seals and gasket too, along with
draining and replacing the gear oil.  The "main" gears lined-up (I believe)
as described in the Bently manual, and  there seemed to be no play in the
unit.

Using a big floor-jack to get the diff in-and-out, I replaced the diff and
shafts back in the car.  Some of the studs on the trailing arms that the hubs
bolt to were loose.  The DPO - oops, that was me - didn't replace them
properly the last time the hubs were out.  Carefully, I removed all the studs
(double-nut method) and re-inserted them with locktite at the right torque.
 With new nylocks everything should remain tight.

This weekend I went for a test drive.  No more clicking sound!   Everything
seems tight now.  The original rubber diff bushings had become very, very
soft with either age or oil/grease contamination.  Hopefully I've now
prevented damage to the diff mounting brackets by replacing these bushings.

Can't wait for spring!

SIncerely,
Kevin D. O'Connor