Re: Trunnions & Bolts!!!, Help

To: "DUHART JOHN" <duhart@symbol.com> (Return requested), "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: Re: Trunnions & Bolts!!!, Help
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 24 Feb 1997 08:40:28 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 04DD43311C47C00E-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 24 Feb 1997 08:40:28 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 24 Feb 1997 08:40:28 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <04DD43311C47C00E*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
John Duhart wrote
>     I dismantled my front suspension this weekend, and run into an
> interesting problem.  The bolt that connects the lower wishbone to the
> trunnion looks like it is cemented in the trunnion.  I can get the nut
> off of the trunnion to remove one of the wishbones.  The bolt in the
> trunnion is surrounded by a reddish substance (Lock-Tight?).  What can I
> do to remove this bolt?  Is there something I can sock this in that will
> dissolved the reddish substance.
>     Also, I was able to remove one vertical link from its trunnion, but
the
> other one is in there good.  I know each trunnion is threaded
> differently, but no matter which way i turn it I get about 2/3's of a
> turn before it stops.  Yes I removed the stopper from the top of the
> trunnion.  Any Ideas?  I'm concerned because the first vertical link came
> out so easily.
John - this may seem obvious, but lacquer thinner always worked pretty well
for me in loosening up things that appeared to be glued together.  It does
sound like lock-tite was use (hmmm, I wonder what that DPO was thinking)
 Just keep soaking it in a big bucket until it breaks loose.  You'll have to
remove the entire lower wishbone from the car, but that's pretty easy.
 Don't forget to mark the shims on the two attachment points at the frame so
you'll know how many went where for reassembly purposes.

As to the trunnion, are you planning on buying a new one or salvaging the
old one?  If buying a new one you could carefully cut the old one off as it
is relatively soft brass (alloy?).  You'd have to be awfully damn careful
not to cut the threads on the spindle itself, however, and this would not be
a job for the faint of heart.  Nevertheless, if all else fails it could
work.  Otherwise, you might try heat, a big vice and a bigger pair of
channel lock pliers.  I might have a spare trunnion from my very early
(1964) Spit in the garage somewhere and would be happy to take a look for
you if you end up needing a replacement.  It's not new, but if recollection
serves me well it was in almost new condition - which makes me wonder why I
bothered to buy a new one.  hmmmm.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe