RE: Wheel Bearing End Play & Grease Seals

To: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Wheel Bearing End Play & Grease Seals
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 22 Feb 1997 16:38:29 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 068A2330F9185003-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 22 Feb 1997 16:38:29 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 22 Feb 1997 16:38:29 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <068A2330F9185003*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Barry H. Adams wrote:
[snip]    I recently repacked the front wheel bearings on my 74 Spitfire and
when
attempting to mount the hubs to the spindles I could not get the hubs on
far enough to get the cotter pins in without completely locking up the
wheels (yes, the races, bearings and seals were inserted properly and at
the right depths).     I then ordered new seals from TRF.  When they arrived
I compared them to  the ones from VB and found that the ID of the metal on
the seals from TRF was considerable larger than the ones from VB and they
would easily fit
over the "inboard hub" on the spindle.  However, the OD of the ones from
TRF was likewise considerable larger than the ones from VB.  So large, in
fact, that I could not get them into the hubs.  [snip]
Of course, there is always the possibility that there is something weird
about the hubs on my car, but this is doubtful.
Barry - sounds as though something is off on your Spit.  I think it is
always possible for one supplier's part to be wrong or off-sized, but TWO?
 Seems kind of wierd that they would be either too small or too large and
not of the same problem size.  Did you mic the spindle to check the size?
 Just a thought.  I'd be interested to find out if you ever find out what
the problem was(is).  Cheers.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe