Re: <GT6> Help with GT-6 BAD vibrations!!?

To: N7559R@aol.com
Subject: Re: <GT6> Help with GT-6 BAD vibrations!!?
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:52:31 -0500
Cc: grantura@agate.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
N7559R@aol.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Drove my GT 6 Mk 2 for the first time in a long time today!!   One and a half
> years in storage (DRY and WARM)  Put in a new battery, turn the key.....
> NOTHING.  Well not a big surprise anyway.  Warning lights all came on with
> the Ignition so,   Tap on the starter relay,     ZOOM starts right up and
> runs good, amazing!
>
> Put new fluids in all around oil,  gearbox, water, clutch master cylinder,
> brake master etc....   Go for ride...   Lots of vibrations.  On power,  off
> power, and during float.
>
> The drive shaft has two new universals so I don't think it is the culprit.
>  The car has wire wheels so I begin checking hubs and I find they have rust
> on the splines, YUCK!!  Only the rear hubs appear bad.  Questions:  1) Can
> the rear wire wheel hubs cause this?  2) Is it likely that the rear bearings
> (wheel) are causing the problem ?  3) What is the best way to check the rear
> wheel bearings?  (These are the ones that are miserable to remove ???)  4)
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Still a great day, I drove the old car!!!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff

I would check and see if your tires have flat spots from sitting for the
past 1 1/2 years. If they do have flat spots you may be able to get rid
of them by driving the car around for a while and getting the tires
warm. This will also work much better at higher outside temperatures
(like late spring and early summer).

Good luck,

--
Lenny Seidman