Re: Vitesse/Sports 6

To: Kurt Oblinger <c394829@is6.mdc.com>
Subject: Re: Vitesse/Sports 6
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:52:51 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Kurt Oblinger wrote:

> The U.S. model Sports 6 was imported in convertible form
> only. To my (limited) knowledge, only two Vitesse saloons
> were officially brought into the U.S. Both of these went
> to Kastner-Brophy and were built into racers for the 2.5
> class in Trans-Am. The U.S. Sports 6 was not a good seller.
> It was priced a couple of hundred dollars above the Chevy
> Nova convertible and the Karmann-Ghia convertible for
> example. My Sports 6 (HB7893LCV) was built in 1962 but
> was sold and titled in 1964....

This is pure speculation on my part, but I'd not be surprised to find that
most or all of the 679 Sports 6-badged cars were built well before 1964,
but that many did not sell until at least the 1964 "model year." Further,
I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has a "documented" Sports 6 (NOT
Vitesse) with an HB15000+LCV commission number. Without reference
materials at hand I can't be sure, but I suspect that the HB15000+ series
incorporates the later dashboard with tachometer, etc. The few of these
that I've seen (including some parts of a car or two I've inherited over
the years) were, in fact, Vitesse-badged and probably were cars that came
down through Canada.

Mark Joslyn and others, feel free to step in and help clarify or correct
me!

--Andy

[I'll get me one of those Sports 6s someday!]