Vitesse/Sports 6

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vitesse/Sports 6
From: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 97 7:39:42 PST
Andy, Ron, Odd, all

The U.S. model Sports 6 was imported in convertible form
only. To my (limited) knowledge, only two Vitesse saloons
were officially brought into the U.S. Both of these went
to Kastner-Brophy and were built into racers for the 2.5
class in Trans-Am. The U.S. Sports 6 was not a good seller.
It was priced a couple of hundred dollars above the Chevy
Nova convertible and the Karmann-Ghia convertible for
example. My Sports 6 (HB7893LCV) was built in 1962 but
was sold and titled in 1964. The 1600 cc six cylinder
is difficult to find parts for. When I first purchased
the car 4 years ago, Ken Gillanders offered me what he
described as the last gasket set he could find for it
through his U.S. sources. I just recently sold the original
carbs to a fellow in San Jose with an original Sports 6.
Most of the Sports 6's I've seen have had a GT6 2 litre
fitted.

I am building mine up with a GT6+ 2 litre with matching
OD trans and diff. Would like to find a triple S.U.
manifold for it.

As an aside, I went looking for a Sports 6 after driving
Steve Hedke's car at a Triumphest. This is the same car
that Leon Guyot drove in his "road trip saga" of a couple
of days ago. It is a wonderful car and is in use almost
daily.

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger
Redondo Beach, Ca.