Moving a TR3 (Round two)

To: "Carl Musson (EVENTS)" <musson@arts.usf.edu>, "Bruce T. Clough" <cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Moving a TR3 (Round two)
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:12:40 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Carl, Bruce and everybody else,

I don't think I was clear enough in my first post.  The U-Haul Auto
Transporter is a massive trailer you drive (in my case, winch) your
vehicle up onto.  It is not the car dolly that only takes one axle off
the ground.  All four wheels of the car are off the ground on the
transporter.

Unfortunately, the bed is not solid, and the design of the transporter
has rails that are made to handle the Detriot Barges.  The inner edges
of the rails are tapered up and toward the middle.

See the obligatory bad ascii (you may need to widen your mail window)

               /                 \
     -> ______/                   \______ <-Car wheels sit on this ledge
(rail)
       |      ^                    ^     |
       |      |                    |     |
              |                    |
              |                    |
              |____________________|
               This is the critical
               distance. If a car's
               track is narrower than
               this, it will not sit
               flat on the "ledge"

LBC's have two potential problems using this piece of equipment. First,
the car's track must be wide enough to sit on the rails, not on the
tapered rail edge.  And second, the tapered rail edge is something like
four inches proud of the rail, so some scraping of the undercarrage is
inevitable.

I believe Bruce is talking about a car dolly, as he recommends
disconnecting the driveshaft. I am going some 300 miles, and have no
intention of spinning a wheel bearing that has not come up to
temperature in over two decades.

Carl, are you inferring Ryder has an auto transporter better suited for
a TR3? Ryder is a little more expensive, but if the U-Haul equipment
will not work, it will not work.

So, one last time, has anyone ever tried to put a TR3 on a U-Haul Auto
Transporter?  Does it fit?

| Henry Frye                          E-mail thefryes@iconn.net |
| TR3B   TCF1927 L               http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/ |
| TR250  CD8096 L                              A Little Town In |
| TR250  CD1074 L                              Connecticut, USA |