Differential Quiz

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Differential Quiz
From: "Mark Gehlhausen" <Gehl@sphinx.crane.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:48:57 -500
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Gehl@sphinx.crane.navy.mil>
A couple of Spit questions, bare with me.

Years ago, I built up a GT6 3.27 final drive and put it in a Spit
1500.  That was a fine combination (no O/D).  This unit required an
iterative pinion shim packing process.  Actually quite fun!
Recently, I rebuilt a crush sleeve pinion type.  I prefer the earlier
shim pack.  I like to know that when it is right, it is right.  I often
wondered about that crush sleeve creeping under load.

Mechanical gurus:  Which is preferred?  Is the later crush sleeve a
"cost improvement"?  If one is a student of the method, is the shim
pack more accurate, repeatable?

I noticed that the brass/bronze alloy side gear thrust bushings are
now offered only in phenolic???  I remember this as being a common
failure mode.  Also, is there a source for the spherical bushings larger
than the 0.41 TRF offers?  Why is the large size many times more costly
than the thinner size?

Mark