TR6 Tyres

To: 0005419627@mcimail.com
Subject: TR6 Tyres
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:04:31 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Bill...Dave Terrick here.

You've enquired about tyre sizes for a TR6.  I have several cents worth.

215/65 R 15 Tryes WILL fit.  I bought my '74 with a set previously off a
camaro - Eagle GT.  Looked great,  filled out the wheelwells fine,  no
interference of consequence (had tube shock conversions).

Problems with a tyre this big are twofold.  It's designed for a much
heavier car and is thus very stiffly sprung...especially speed rated tyres.
 Ride is harsh over bumps but wonderful on smooth bits.  Hitting bumps in a
corner will totally upset the car.  The extra weight of the bigger rubber
needs heavier shocks, especially in the front.

I switched to a set of 195/70 15 Eagle GT +4's on American Racing Wheels
(period accessory)  shortly thereafter and the handling was totally
transformed.  The stickier rubber sticks well,  handles better over bumps
and rough roads, and for the first time,  doesn't slide all over the road
in rain.  Engine revs are withing two or three percent ie good on the highway.

For a bit more zip, especially with overdrive,  try a 205/60.  Definately
the Hi Po way to go but they look a bit small in the wheelwells.  With an
o/d,  215/60's could work

Dave ( Idon't slow down for no stinkin' corners) Terrick