Re: Spit VIN Question

To: Mark Gehlhausen <Gehl@sphinx.crane.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Spit VIN Question
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:53:44 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Mark Gehlhausen wrote:

> Question.  the VIN is FDUxxxxxU.  Can someone explain the first "U".
> None of my Triumph books indicate the existence of the first "U", but
> then they mainly address UK commission numbers.  BTW, what does
> the second "U" mean?  All help appreciated.  Mark

Mark,

The VIN of my '70 Mk3 is FDU86843L.  I remember reading somewhere that the
"U" after the "FD" means US spec and the "L" means left hand drive - sort
of redundant if you ask me.  From this, I would guess that your '69 VIN
has been mis-read at some point and that it was originally, FDUxxxxxL.

As an aside, at one point, my '70 was titled as FD_V_86843L but I was
able to get it returned to FD_U_86843L with surprisingly little hassle.

Hope this helps,
Mike