Re: Spit VIN Question

To: Mark Gehlhausen <Gehl@sphinx.crane.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Spit VIN Question
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:52:33 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark Gehlhausen wrote:

> Truimphiles,
> I am resurrecting a 73 Spitfire, one I originally owned many moons
> ago.  It is in horrible condition.  I purchased the vehicle and
> accepted a bill of sale with title to come later.  Later never came
> and the lead has dried up.  Some cash was withheld but obviously not
> enough to incentivize.  I have DOT searched the title which leads back
> to a used car dealer.  This lead has dried up as well and the state
> requires his signature on a duplicate title to process further.  I
> have mentally and physically written off this search.  I have a
> second title of a near and dear 69 Spit I scrapped out years ago.
> It is in my name and dear to me.
>
> Question.  the VIN is FDUxxxxxU.  Can someone explain the first "U".
> None of my Triumph books indicate the existence of the first "U", but
> then they mainly address UK commission numbers.  BTW, what does
> the second "U" mean?  All help appreciated.  Mark

MARK:

The first "U" indicates that the car is the North American version.  My
70 Spitfire is FDU75026L, the "L" being left-hand drive.  I'm not sure
about your second "U". I can look it up this evening, if I haven't seen
another post by then.

I purchased my Spitfire floors from VB.  Excellent quality, mfd. by
Steelcraft in England. About $80 each side. Sorry I don't have VB's 800
number handy.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)
1970 Spitfire Mk.3 (under restoration)