Re: Bodge of the Month - February

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bodge of the Month - February
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:08:18 -0500
Hello Adam, you wrote :

 >1) As part of the frame-off restoration of my '74 TR6, I'm doing a
 >suspension rebuild. Dismantling a rear trailing arm, I noticed that on
 >one side, someone has replaced the standard bump stop with what looks
 >like part of a hockey puck glued onto one of those screw-in mountings
 >for furniture casters. Not only that, but because the new mount didn't
 >fit the old hole, they'd bored a new, much bigger, hole at a 15 degree
 >slant to the original. Does this win the "Bodge of the Month" for
 >February?
 >
 >What I want to know is, is there some way of repairing the alloy of the
 >trailing arm and setting a new bore, or have I got to find a new,
 >hideously expensive, rear trailing arm?

[snip]

AS was suggested earlier, that could probably be repaired by welding.

My point:  since the trailing arms are aluminum and should last 'til
the next ice age & beyond, they should be available from parts cars
and as salvaged items without looking too far afield.
   In fact, if you can't find one near you, I think I have a pair in
the barn, off a crashed '75, contact me if interested.

Tom Tweed
SW Ohio