RE: Spitfire Tie Rod End Joints

To: "muntsb@HiWAAY.net" <muntsb@HiWAAY.net> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Spitfire Tie Rod End Joints
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 17 Feb 1997 09:58:31 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 08F6E33089C47002-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 17 Feb 1997 09:58:31 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 17 Feb 1997 09:58:31 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <08F6E33089C47002*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Bill wrote:
Help,  I need some advice on how best to remove a stuck tie rod end joint
from
the tie rod.  The drivers side came right off but the other side won't move.
'70 Mk3 Spitfire
*********************************
Bill - you'll need a ball joint separater (aka "pickle fork") to split them
apart.  You can pick one up at Sears or the local Pep Boys for about $8.00.
 There is one thing I found out the hard way - the ball joints and tie rod
ends on Spits are so small that the typical ball joint separater carried at
most stores is too wide to split them apart.  Sears makes a "kit" that
contains a threaded shaft and has four different size "fork heads" - it's
not cheap (about $20) but the smallest head fits perfect on Spit ball
joints, and it's the only ball joint separater you'll ever need.  Just put
the end of the forks on either side of the joint and bash away with a small
sledge hammer until it splits.  If it doesn't split right away, soak it with
WD-40, etc. then use a bigger sledge hammer.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe